Frequently Asked Questions
What sets you apart from other tutoring companies?
- As well as providing tutoring for students wanting support for the content of their courses, we specialize in students who have a learning disability, chronically underachieve in school, need to be challenged and/or are disengaged with the world and/or school.
- We come from no specific educational framework, but rather have a student-centred approach that guides the program right from the beginning and informs all changes as they are necessary. We bring in specific teaching frameworks when they are appropriate and change our approach to match the specific need of the student at each point in time.
- We design personalized programs that help students achieve goals that are relevant and meaningful for their education and life as a whole.
- We use an iterative process that thrives on feedback; feedback from the student and parents shapes our approach the whole way through, allowing us to make adjustments whenever and wherever they are necessary.
- Our work is informed by the latest research in learning disabilities, educational psychology, and cognitive science.
- We don’t just tutor! We offer a variety of programs including: Supported Study Space, full-time* or part-time programs, computer courses, and pods.
Who are your tutors?
- All tutors have extensive experience working with kids.
- Many are pursuing a career in an education-related field.
- All our tutors are avid information seekers and voracious students of the world: they are passionate about many things and have many areas of localized knowledge.
- All our tutors are trained in the art of one-to-one tutoring, effective communication, educational psychology, and BrainBoost standards.
- All our tutors care greatly about their students’ success and take ample time to prepare for their sessions. They are also supported by a group of passionate teachers and case managers who help to brainstorm new ideas and solutions.
What is distance learning?
How does BrainBoost support distance learning?
Is BrainBoost a Distance Learning School or Private School?
Where does the tutoring take place?
All of BrainBoost’s services are currently online in order to comply with the public health directions for physical spaces issued by the Public Health Officer and WorkSafe BC. Sessions take place via the ZOOM platform.
What is your payment & cancellation policy?
All sessions are scheduled to occur weekly throughout the school year. To cancel ongoing, you must give us 4 weeks written notice and pay for all sessions booked in those weeks. With at least 24 hours notice you can cancel up to 2 sessions per term at no charge. You must prepay four weeks of sessions at a time and you will receive an invoice whenever your account shows only one paid session remaining.
Click here for complete policies.