Frequently Asked Questions
What sets you apart from other tutoring companies?
- As well as providing tutoring for students wanting support for the content of their courses, we specialize in students who have a learning disability, chronically underachieve in school, need to be challenged and/or are disengaged with the world and/or school.
- We come from no specific educational framework, but rather have a student-centred approach that guides the program right from the beginning and informs all changes as they are necessary. We bring in specific teaching frameworks when they are appropriate and change our approach to match the specific need of the student at each point in time.
- We design personalized programs that help students achieve goals that are relevant and meaningful for their education and life as a whole.
- We use an iterative process that thrives on feedback; feedback from the student and parents shapes our approach the whole way through, allowing us to make adjustments whenever and wherever they are necessary.
- Our work is informed by the latest research in learning disabilities, educational psychology, and cognitive science.
- We don’t just tutor! We offer a variety of programs including: Supported Study Space, full-time* or part-time programs, computer courses, and pods.
Who are your tutors?
- All tutors have extensive experience working with kids.
- Many are pursuing a career in an education-related field.
- All our tutors are avid information seekers and voracious students of the world: they are passionate about many things and have many areas of localized knowledge.
- All our tutors are trained in the art of one-to-one tutoring, effective communication, educational psychology, and BrainBoost standards.
- All our tutors care greatly about their students’ success and take ample time to prepare for their sessions. They are also supported by a group of passionate educators and case managers who help to brainstorm new ideas and solutions.
What is distance learning?
In British Columbia, parents and their children have a choice when it comes to the child’s education between the ‘traditional brick-and-mortar’ school and distance learning school programs. In B.C. there are over 50 different distance learning schools and they all grant credits toward graduation. From traditional math and science courses to creating a personalized directed studies course, the different distance learning schools available to B.C. students offer a wide variety of options outside of brick-and-mortar schools. In grades K-9, it’s usually not possible to take single distance courses while enrolled at a regular school. Once students are in grades 10-12, they can enrol in a single distance learning course even when enrolled in a brick-and-mortar school.
How does BrainBoost support distance learning?
At BrainBoost, our full-time* and part-time programs support and supplement distance learning school programs to provide students with an enhanced learning experience. Students enrol in an accredited distance learning school and simultaneously enrol in one of our full or part time programs. From there, we offer awesome and unique support for students which supplements and enhances their distance learning school program. This support looks a bit different for each student, but it usually involves a combination of subject tutoring, homework help, and student services. For example, the Study Space Full Time program integrates tutoring, homework, and student services in order to provide a supportive learning community that promotes balance and productivity for students. BrainBoost can enhance the course content and works to keep lines of communication open with educators, advisors, and administrators of distance learning schools.
Is BrainBoost a Distance Learning School or Private School?
BrainBoost is not a distance learning school, a private school or an independent school. We offer tutoring services to all students and full-time* and part-time supplemental programs to students enrolled in distance learning school programs. To be eligible for our full or part-time programs, students must be enrolled in an accredited distance learning program.
Where does the tutoring take place?
All of BrainBoost’s services take place in person at our hub in Kitsilano. We also offer online sessions via the ZOOM platform by arrangement.
What is your payment & cancellation policy?
All sessions are scheduled in accordance with one of our three pass options: Term, Flex and Explorer. Most families choose Term or Flex passes whose sessions are scheduled to occur weekly for the duration of a school term or the school year. All sessions need to be prepaid – payment and cancellation details depend on the type of pass purchased.
Click here for complete policies.
Is there financial assistance available?
Students with Support Needs may be eligible to receive School Board or MCFD funding that you are able to allocate to BrainBoost. Contact us if you’d like to know more about how this works and whether your child may qualify.
BrainBoost is committed to reducing any barrier to our services and has a few bursaries available for families in financial need. Please contact us to find out more and discuss how we can make BrainBoost work for you.
Is there funding available for post-secondary support at BrainBoost?
Students with accessibility needs may be eligible for post-secondary financial aid through StudentAid BC. Contact us for more information about funding and about our post-secondary services and supports.